On May 26, 1849, a group of settlers met in the valley between Claybank Creek and Choctawhatchee River, in the village of Clayhatchee, to form Providence Baptist Church. The first church building was built from locally harvested logs and stood near Meeting House Branch. As the church grew, a larger building was planned, and the white frame sanctuary was dedicated on February 27, 1887.
The building accommodated the growing congregation for worship services up until 1965 when a modern brick sanctuary was dedicated. Over the years, the little white church continued to function as office space and Sunday School rooms. In 2010, the church prepared to build a replacement annex, and transferred ownership of the chapel to Old Providence Foundation.
Through a labor of love, the Foundation moved the chapel to its current location and restored it to pristene beauty. On April 6, 2013, the building was rededicated with the hope that it will serve the community another 125 years. The Foundation is honored to have a role in preserving this portion of our heritage, and thanks all those whose generous donations have made it possible.
It is with great honor and privilege that we open the chapel to couples celebrating love through marriage. It is our hope that your future celebration will become part of our great legacy of faith, love, and joy.
The work of Old Providence Foundation is carried out by volunteers, and all donations and usage fees go directly to support the ongoing maintenance and improvement of the venue.